DIRECTOR OF CONNECTIONS MINISTRY
Winnetka Congregational Church
Join the dynamic and diverse ministry team at Winnetka Congregational Church (WCC), an open-minded, open-hearted, non-denominational Christian church serving communities on the North Shore, just north of Chicago.
The Director of Connections Ministry (DCM)’s strategic focus is helping our church to grow: in its faith, in its sense of interpersonal connection and Christian community, and in its membership. The DCM will be a connector of people, connecting visitors and members to the rest of the church. The DCM will work with our leaders (staff and volunteers) to invite and equip every interested person at WCC to take a next step in their spiritual journey. Through personal interactions, small groups, events, programming, and strategic oversight of communications, the DCM will serve as a welcoming, empowering, and organizing presence.
The DCM reports to the Senior Pastor and works with the entire staff and lay-leadership team to develop and implement a comprehensive plan for engagement that helps visitors, prospective members, and members, alike, to feel more involved, more connected to one another, and more grounded in the church and their faith.
- Collaborate with Senior Pastor to plan the direction and coordinate the initiatives of the Connections ministry.
- Leverage WCC’s various initiatives so as to build community awareness of and engagement with WCC and its mission.
- Oversee and review all communications regarding Connections Ministry, including creating copy for internal and external platforms.
- Work with partner agencies as the primary point of contact regarding social media platforms and analytics.
- Work with lay leaders to coordinate goals and efforts that empower members and visitors to engage with WCC and their faith.
- Greet and welcome both visitors and members before and after Sunday worship and at other church events.
- Introduce and connect visitors and current members to cultivate a sense connection as a community of faith.
- Get to know members and visitors and become familiar with their interests.
- Organize/coordinate multiple engagement events.
- Use various communication styles, tools, platforms, and venues to encourage visitors and members to engage in the church’s activities.
- Believes in the value of church and the power of faith in our lives.
- A love of people and an interpersonal ability to engage folks of all ages, orientations, genders, backgrounds, and ability levels.
- Committed to our congregation’s vision of respect, inclusion, and empowerment.
- Well organized and motivated to initiate and complete projects.
- Collaborative style; willing to pitch in to get things done.
- Natural communicator, connector, and promoter.
- Approximately 25-30 hours per week.
- Some flexibility in the hours.
- Present on Sunday mornings—before, during, and after worship services.
- Regular meetings with Senior Pastor to strategize about and coordinate the implementation of Connections and communications initiatives.
- Participation in various engagement and connections opportunities (as scheduled).
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required, a Masters of Divinity and ministial training a plus.
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience, preferably in a Christian community.
- Proficiency in using digital communications technology and in the use of social media technology.
- Ability to interpret results of and modify social media campaigns.
- Sales or other relationship building experience desired.
- Proficiency with ACS Technologies church management software is a plus.
Interested applicants should email a resume and cover letter to Steve Huels and Bob Smith via HR-WCC@wcc-joinus.org.
Applicants are encouraged to send examples of previous digital communications work.